Israel in Canadian Campus Media

This blog exists for the purpose of keeping people informed as to how Israel is being discussed in Canadian campus media. It is maintained by a York University student.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

The madhouse that is York

I'm not including all the nutty things going on at SFU and Waterloo in this post, though I could per se, that will be saved for later.

York: The Noble Affair is far from over.


The document, titled “The York University Foundation: The Tail That Wags The Dog”, alleges that the Foundation is “biased by the presence and influences of staunch pro-Israel lobbyists, activists, and fundraising agencies”.

FYI: As I am typing, a protest about this very issue is happening 7 floors down, in Vari Hall. Updates to follow.

I did the only thing I could do: I wrote an editorial.

I was simultaneously attacked about my "privileged past".

I continuously encounter so-called “educated” people who actually argue that colonialism was a product of western civilization that merits praise and not condemnation. Aliza Libman, Excalibur’s news editor, often falls into this trap. However, it is clear that people speaking from a point of privilege cannot effortlessly understand the detriment of these institutions, considering the fact that their forefathers were the perpetrators who participated and benefited from these systems of oppression, particularly the white westerners who colonized the worlds of people of color.
I guess I haven't learned properly from the privilege of being chased around by the Cossacks, banned from owning land in Europe, ghettoized, etc.

Whoops.

In other news, Chomsky spoke, which was considred by some enlightening. Props to Adam Hummel for the rocking letter.

Much more lunacy to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home